3005 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleInfatuation

MichelleInfatuation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:55 AM

Everyone needs to vent now and then, so I figured I get the ball rolling.

I work at Publix (big supermarket chanin in my neck of the woods) as a bagger and while I generally don't like the job, it pays enough. Now for 10 and a half months, the activity is busy but I can handle it and it's not overwhelming. However, once it gets to thanksgiving week thru New Yaer's, it's a monster. Eespecially where I live, there's a lot of rich people and old people too, so everyone's impatient, everyone's in a hurry, waits til the last minute and thinks just b/c they drive an Escalade that you have to kiss their feet.

Prime example: A woman today bought $468 worth of groceries and we had to fill 2 carts to get it all. I help carry it out and she's parked all the way on the other end of the parking lot, I load everything out of both carts into the trunk of a Jaguar S-Type (which especiallly given how much she bought is damn near impossible). No tip.

Merry christmas to you too, b****.

So fire away, guys!.......
Michelle fan since 2003

"I need tape, somebody get me some tape!"- Michelle, West Palm Beach 5/1/04

Michelle Concerts
5/1/04- SunFest, West Palm Beach
10/13/06- The Wreckers, Daytona Beach
7/24/08- House Of Blues Orlando (I met Michelle!)

Michelle, YOU ARE AMAZING! You are such an amazing singer-songwriter and person! I love you!

#2 nimrod1979

nimrod1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:34 AM

Unfortunately, these are the dues you must pay when you are young. I had a few jobs in my early 20's that were very similar to the one you have. I don't know if you are in college or what your situation is, but my advice is continue to work hard, stay focused, and keep your cool. If you can do some of those things you will go where you want to go in life. I don't know if there is much more you can do about idiot customers except for what you are doing right now which is venting wink.gif

There is also a great chance that the customers who are being difficult (like the woman you had to deal with today) have never been in your shoes. Usually, people who don't know what it's like to work in any form of retail tend to treat those who work in that profession with little respect. It's tough, but when faced with that kind of situation sometimes you just gotta see the humor in it and move on. Sucks that you didn't get a tip though. I may very well be telling you things you already know, but it doesn't hurt to hear from somebody who has been there smile.gif I have so many stories that sound like yours I don't know where to begin. I worked as a cashier at Best Buy during the Christmas season a few years back so I think that says it all laugh.gif

#3 Lenny

Lenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

You know what really grinds my gears?

Family Guy. Apart from Stewie, the show was basically a misanthropic Futurama ripoff, which itself ripped off the Simpsons. Making it grosser and more "adult" was, I suppose, an attempt to appeal to those kids who find the Simpsons too tame or something. That grossness is all it has to set it apart. Apart from Stewie - the only 'original' addition (Mr. Burns is a baby now!) - there's nothing to recommend the show. It's just boring.

tongue.gif
QUOTE (aussie36)
I see you! Well I don't cos your invisible, but I know its you. COME OUT AND POST!!!!

Always love, always feel:
Be happy, be good, be grace, be real.

Life Is Beautiful!

#4 SpiritMusic

SpiritMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 25 2007, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what really grinds my gears?

Family Guy.

#5 Lenny

Lenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

biggrin.gif

#6 chrisg

chrisg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:I'm an artist who is fortunate enough to live in beautiful Alaska. I enjoy creating my art &amp; being to see wildlife in its natural environments.

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE(SpiritMusic @ Dec 25 2007, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO!!!! laugh.gif
People can change anything they want to; and that means everything in the world...

...It's time to take humanity back into the center of the ring and follow that for a time...

...Without people, you're nothing.

Joe Strummer

#7 poeticnewageretrohippie

poeticnewageretrohippie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

i cashiered in high school, so i understand, but at the same time, before i was a cashier, i had no idea people even considered tipping in a grocery store. i was so shocked the first time someone tipped me. so while it sucked, consider that it wouldnt cross most peoples minds, and value those few and far between tips!

or maybe the fact that my store was in the ghetto coincided with no tips. in which case i feel you, that jerk.

what grinds my gears (totally first world problems)
- people who think thin = anorexic, relaxed personality = huge stoner, and other things of the like
- when camera flashes make bras under shirts visible and girls dont mind and use their see thru trashyness as myspace defaults. lol at me for being shallow just now.
- people from highschool who are like OMG I MISS YOU LETS HANG OUT but either a. never talked to me in the first place, or b. dont REALLY want to hang out. just want to sound nice.
- the miranda kerr victorias secret commercial. shes a hottie, but she rhymes air with air.

#8 Gilbert

Gilbert

You're gonna love my nuts.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:yer ma

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(poeticnewageretrohippie @ Dec 26 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- the miranda kerr victorias secret commercial. shes a hottie, but she rhymes air with air.
rofl....

she kinda bugs me because she looks like a less hot Adriana Lima. But still hot.

#9 Togusa

Togusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(poeticnewageretrohippie @ Dec 27 2007, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the miranda kerr victorias secret commercial. shes a hottie, but she rhymes air with air.

Oh no you didn't *snaps*

Thou shalt not take the name of Miranda Kerr in vain!

#10 poeticnewageretrohippie

poeticnewageretrohippie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(Togusa @ Dec 27 2007, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no you didn't *snaps*

Thou shalt not take the name of Miranda Kerr in vain!

i said she was a hottie! hahaha. i -gave- her that. but really, dont you think they could have written a better rhyme for her?
There once was an angel so fair,
Whose bra was lighter than air.
The secret, you see And it's no mystery,
Her bra-cups were made out of air

im a language arts person, so it just grindz mah gearzz.

but its really cute the way she says "new angels pooosh up" yay@accents.

#11 poeticnewageretrohippie

poeticnewageretrohippie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Gilbert @ Dec 27 2007, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rofl....

she kinda bugs me because she looks like a less hot Adriana Lima. But still hot.

i think adriana has her offdays though. on occasion im like "omg butter face" but mostly yeah shes also a hottie.

but i think miranda kerr is always cute, and she has such a young face. awwwww.

#12 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(poeticnewageretrohippie @ Dec 27 2007, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think adriana has her offdays though. on occasion im like "omg butter face" but mostly yeah shes also a hottie.

but i think miranda kerr is always cute, and she has such a young face. awwwww.
Adriana is my future ex-wife. Don't be talkin' 'bout her that way! She's perfection. Ok, not really, but I kind of lust her.

#13 JenxJen

JenxJen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

my company is lame, what can I say? But did you know Miranda kerr is the first ever Australian angel? Just a little FYI haha
Jen

#14 DwayneJohnson

DwayneJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

You know what grinds my gears? Every Celebrity I want to get married to is already married or has been married.
Michelle Branch
Jenna Fischer (The Office)
Michelle McCool (Wrestling)
Erica Hill (CNN Headline News)
Sarah Chalke (Scrubs)
Christa Miller (Scrubs, Drew Carey Show)
Britney Spears (Before she became crazy and weird)
plus, some lady told me that Cooking wasn't a real job when I interviewed for a gifted program in high school when I was 14.
WHY MUST MY DREAMS BE CRUSHED????

#15 poeticnewageretrohippie

poeticnewageretrohippie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(DwayneJohnson @ Dec 28 2007, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what grinds my gears? Every Celebrity I want to get married to is already married or has been married.
Michelle Branch
Jenna Fischer (The Office)
Michelle McCool (Wrestling)
Erica Hill (CNN Headline News)
Sarah Chalke (Scrubs)
Christa Miller (Scrubs, Drew Carey Show)
Britney Spears (Before she became crazy and weird)
plus, some lady told me that Cooking wasn't a real job when I interviewed for a gifted program in high school when I was 14.
WHY MUST MY DREAMS BE CRUSHED????

i feel you. not only is conan obrien married, but he has 2 very very cute kids. I CANT DISRUPT THAT.

#16 Togusa

Togusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

Of course I knew that, I have spoken to her on several occasions, the most recent of which was at Australian Fashion Week back in October.

#17 chrisg

chrisg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:I'm an artist who is fortunate enough to live in beautiful Alaska. I enjoy creating my art &amp; being to see wildlife in its natural environments.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

What really grinds my gears???

Other than guys that think celebrities would marry them w/out having ever met them...hmmm...that's tough to top, but how about Anderson Cooper...what a chestnut he shared w/Wolf Blitzer today:

"the facts are changing by the hour."

Thank you for that pearl of wisdom Anderson; you must be one helluva great investigative reporter.

People can change anything they want to; and that means everything in the world...

...It's time to take humanity back into the center of the ring and follow that for a time...

...Without people, you're nothing.

Joe Strummer

#18 DwayneJohnson

DwayneJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

I know, seriously. What was I thinking? Pfft.

#19 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

You know what really pisses me off? People who cannot use their cell phone correctly.

This may seem like an obscure pet peeve, but it really bothers me when someone unnecessarily pulls their phone away from their ear to speak into a mouthpiece that could have picked up what they were saying where it was originally. But not only that. They YELL into the mouthpiece so EVERYONE can hear their damn conversation about how they got the clap from some skeezy guy they met at a club.

You know what else grinds my gears? Girls who wear words on their asses.

This one should be a little more mainstream. Look ladies, I like to read. So if you don't want me staring at something that already is pleasing to my eyes, DON'T TEMPT ME TO READ THERE TOO. I've gotten yelled for "staring" at a girls chest when all I was doing was reading whatever was printed on their shirt. Or the back of their pants.

Also, I really hate it when people dis Superman when they don't understand the character. This applies to any fictional character, but Superman most of all, because he's probably the most misunderstood. And I'm a comic geek.

It all starts out with the fact Superman disguise is more than a pair of glasses. People assume that it should be easy to deduce that he is actually Clark Kent because the only difference is a pair of spectacles. First off, if you ever see the original movie from 1978, Clark and Superman are almost polar opposites in every way. Superman is graceful, powerful, soft-spoken but firm. Clark is clumsy, meek, and he rambles on a bit. Superman is also very sleek in his presentation, while Clark's suits are kind of rumpled and worn.

Then, there's his power level. He's almost a god. So he's "too powerful". Bull. He only fights villains who are on an equal footing with him in terms of power level. You'd never see him fighting Batman's rogues. Well, I take that back, he fought The Joker, but only after The Joker gained godlike powers of his own!

Finally, his boy scout persona. As sad as this is, The OC pointed this out better than I probably could, but think about it. This guy is a god. He'll live forever, he could easily take over the entire planet if he so desired. So why does he help people? He wants, and needs, a family. The people he relates to are all dead and gone. He's one of the last of his kind. He's lonely. He's a really messed up individual.

That last one was probably a bit tl;dr, but I don't care.

#20 poeticnewageretrohippie

poeticnewageretrohippie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:58 AM

POPCORN GRINDS MY GEARS SO BAD. its just impossible to get out of your teeth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users