63 replies to this topic

#1 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Interests:Music - Michelle Branch ;)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ok! So we can use this topic to discuss the details of the SPARK recording.

People who have chosen to sing this song are:

Paulina mbadan Luke2 echo_14 mayhem.mike

I still had to make my choice, so I guess I'll add myself to this list, since there are more people who are gonna do FOR DEAR LIFE and we need singers ;D (although I'm not a "real" singer, but I'll work something out haha).

We also know that sislermi is playing piano on the song.
If there are any other musicians who would like to add some instrumental parts, please let us know!
Some of the people who chose to play instruments were:
Anny.96, TMF, Kanggeeroy, Figs, SpiritedAway

We decided we would use this as "master track" - this is an instrumental version I had recorded and it includes acoustic guitar and acoustic bass tracks.
Note that:
- it was based on an older Spark live version, played by Michelle
- pitch is 1 semitone higher
- I had added an small intro

Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24844647/Spark%20%28Instrumental%29.mp3

NOTE: link to download the file is
(add http://) dl.dropbox.com/u/24844647/Spark%20%28Instrumental%29.mp3

The idea is that everyone gets to sing a part as lead vocalist in the song, then we may add a "big choir" on the final chorus and maybe back vocals too ;) so we should first decide who sings which part.
Since you can download the instrumental, I think you can try and see if the key is ok for you and which parts suits you best.. This key should be ok for both male and female voices to sing in - male could sing at the lower octave too, especially should they choose to sing the chorus, which is higher in pitch - whereas female could sing at the original octave.
If you have the chance, please try and sing the song and let us know how it works for you..and which parts you would like to sing as lead vocalist.

Also, I think it'd be great if we can somehow create a sort of "group" where we can also discuss this "live" in chat - if you use FB (I know some of you do since I'd already added them as friends on there), feel free to add me: http://www.facebook.com/puntomusica

Thank you!
Can't wait to start working on this :D

#2 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Alright, since there's going to be a full band cover of "For Dear Life," I think it would be best if we made this one more of an ensemble choir type thing (instruments would include the acoustic master track, piano, maybe strings, wind instrument(s); if anyone plays or has played an orchestra instrument such as the violin, viola, cello, the flute, piccolo, oboe, maybe brass; those could possibly be implemented as well). And yes, I have orchestra instruments on my keyboard (since you were wondering, it plays almost anything: wind, strings, brass etc.). The problem with adding instruments like electric guitar and drums for this one, is that they're suited to work with other "rock band" type instruments and for the most part don't mix well with an acoustic guitar, piano, choir feel (a "rock band" has its own sound)........Remember, we have an ACOUSTIC master track and it's clear that I'm going to be playing the piano........from that information I think we can agree we aren't going in a "rock band" type direction. But know that I'm just one person, so anything we do is up to you guys. All I'm trying to say, is that we need to decide on what type of sound we want to produce if we want to EFFECTIVELY make it happen (Ex: In order for me to arrange a piano part that sounds good and "fits" around everything else I need to first know what other instruments are going to added and how they're each going to be played etc.) As far as making different versions of the song, of course we can but for now (with the instruments we have planned) I think it'd be better to decide on a more of an acoustic-orchestrated feel. If someone wants to make a "rock band" instrumental for this song (someone plays drums, electric guitar etc.) there can be a separate version specifically dedicated to that one. The bottom line is it's going to be hard to get started on at least one version unless we know exactly what we want. Like I said, I'm just one person so it's all up to you guys; but these are just my ideas, take them or leave them; let's just decide on something so we can get started.

Also, for recording purposes, there needs to be a way to know EXACTLY where each vocal and lyric note is in reference to the acoustic master track (the people singing especially need to know this; *if they don't, there's a good chance that no one will be exactly in sync with one another). We can fix this, simply by establishing a master vocal track. There's a few different ways to do this, one of the easiest ways would be to take somebody who's brave and planning to sing the whole thing, make them record their part first and then officially place that in the master track. Using that, all the other singers can sing over it, this will ensure that everyones in sync (fyi: hearing vocals in the master track will also help me when recording the keyboard portion).

#3 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for sharing your ideas sislermi!
I must say, I pretty much agree on everything you've said ;)
I had recorded the track we are now using as "master" thinking of making an acoustic version of the song - it was actually recorded in order to make an acoustic cover with acoustic bass + acoustic guitar + lead & back vocals.
I absolutely agree on the fact it'd be better to add instruments which can mix well with that idea of sound. I think we all agreed on choosing this as master track for this recording, so the choice of the instruments to add should come as a consequence.
One idea could be adding piano in the verses and strings-like/natural-sustain instruments in the choruses. Of course the piano arrangement may vary between first and second verse, but I guess you already have an idea on how to do that (and this is the spirit of making a recording "toghether", after all ;) ). Maybe we could try to make the choruses sound more "full/complete" than the verses (hope this makes sense to you, I have some difficulties in expressing those "musical concepts" in English, trying to translate them directly from my mother tongue :D ).
We may also add another acoustic guitar track if someone wants to play ;)

As for the singing part, I thought we could use a Michelle's acoustic video performance as reference, just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8gUOug-B4c

Anyways, I have no problem in recording a master vocal track too, if needed. I originally planned on doing that for back vocals, since they may be harder to get, but I can do it for lead vocals too, should this be useful.
(but please, if I do this, just not compare my voice to the one of the person singing in the video right over here...it would just be a reference track for recording purposes :D )

One important thing: (I already talked about this in a previous topic, so it's just a reminder)
for mixing purposes, I need unedited vocal tracks; so this means I need you to send me just the audio file of your voice recorded at the best possible quality, but without any effects (I'll add effects later in the mix ;) )

#4 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

IMPORTANT: talking about the lyrics of the song (since sadly we still haven't heard a full studio version :( )

SPARK lyrics as we were able to hear so far..

Must have counted twenty thousand cold county lines
Nothing here to get my weary soul through the night
Hold me, hold me
Put me back together, baby
Show me that you love me
Feels so good together

Every single fire started with a spark
We could feel it burn when we're dancing in the dark
Take me in your arms before I fall apart
Baby we're a fire that started with a spark
Woah-oh
That started with a spark
Woah-oh

Must have dreamed you on this highway nine million times
while I'm counting miles of pavement that touch the sky
Hold me, hold me
Angels on the skyline
Bring me to you, bring us back together

Woah-oh
Woah-oh

And my head knows the world turns
But my heart wants to stop
I've been running in circles
Now I know what I want

Woah-oh
Woah-oh

However, I am not very sure about that "miles of pavement that touch the sky" part..someone heard "left to the sky", but I'm not sure about that either.. I tried listening to almost all the videos of the song on YouTube plus some I'd made during last summer tour, but yet I can't get that part perfectly.. :(
Can anyone give his/her opinion on this?

#5 mbadan

mbadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

it's hard to know what exactly says. anyway we can use these lyrics to make our song.
When we could make the "live chat" to discuss about it???
we can use the west coast time as reference
every single fire started with a spark we can feel it burn when we're dancing in the dark....

Posted Image

#6 TMF

TMF

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Wow Sislermi and Ale you're full with great ideas. Love them all. This is gonna be so great. :D
Ale, I voted for playing instruments in this one but I guess you can just remove me from the list. Sislermi and you will do great!

#7 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

it's hard to know what exactly says. anyway we can use these lyrics to make our song.
When we could make the "live chat" to discuss about it???
we can use the west coast time as reference

Oh well, I'm mostly always online, just head in the chatroom and you'll probably find me ;D Anyways, the idea of making a sort of "live chat" is not bad at all!

Regarding the lyrics, I wish some English native speaker could help us figure out the exact ones for that part! :D

#8 TMF

TMF

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Regarding the lyrics, I wish some English native speaker could help us figure out the exact ones for that part! :D

Jamye!!!

#9 SpiritedAway

SpiritedAway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Jamye!!!

lol!! thank you for the nomination :P

The 2nd verse is definitely

"I still dreamed you on this highway nine billion times
While I'm counting miles of pavement left in the sky"

I'm very positive on the 2nd verse. I watched many Spark performances and she says "billion", not "million." And "left in the sky" makes better sense in english. In the 1st verse, she's counting the street lines (county lines) on the ground. And in the 2nd verse, she's counting the miles/distance left in the sky. She must be in the car driving or something in this song.

#10 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Can I sing this part?
"Must have dreamed you on this highway nine million times
while I'm counting miles of pavement that touch the sky"

everything else is kind of too high for me (i pretty much suck at singing :D)

I agree on the "billion times", while I think she says "touch the sky", but I'm not 100% sure.

And how about this one? "Show me that you love me"
I'm pretty sure we says "want me".

#11 mbadan

mbadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

I would lik to sing this part:

Hold me, hold me
Angels on the skyline

or this

:)
every single fire started with a spark we can feel it burn when we're dancing in the dark....

Posted Image

#12 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

This lyrics problem is making me mad!! :D I have been trying to get those parts for months now..

I have been trying watching almost every Spark video I could find, even mine of course...but I am still not sure about that part. I still kinda hear "at the sky" but I can't figure out what she says just before that...and furthermore, it seems her voice becomes softer every time she sings that specific part :D
I'm also in doubt regarding the first part of that verse: I've still dreamed you or Must have dreamed you... ???
:(

I agree on the "billion times", while I think she says "touch the sky", but I'm not 100% sure.

And how about this one? "Show me that you love me"
I'm pretty sure we says "want me".

Yeah, I agree on both BILLION and WANT ME. I just copied and pasted the lyrics without checking them first, sorry :D
I would have changed those 2 words ;)

#13 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

It's definitely "Must have dreamed you" - 1:25 !

#14 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/michellebranch/status/192015618311061504 :P

#15 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Why does it sound obvious all of a sudden? lol :D

#16 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Why does it sound obvious all of a sudden? lol :D

I KNEW IT!! hahahaha :D
(j/k)

Ok, let me update the lyrics!! ;)

#17 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

LYRICS (official)

Must have counted twenty thousand cold county lines
Nothing here to get my weary soul through the night
Hold me, hold me
Put me back together, baby
Show me that you want me
Feels so good together

Woah-oh
Woah-oh

Must have dreamed you on this highway nine billion times
while I'm counting miles of pavement melt into sky
Hold me, hold me
Angels on the skyline

Woah-oh
Woah-oh

I've been running in circles
Now I know what I want

Woah-oh
Woah-oh

#18 Paulina

Paulina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Music, music, music and... (drum roll please...) music!! :D:D

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

https://twitter.com/...015618311061504 :P

haha! I love her <3 :D

#19 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Guys, I think we may start the vocals recording process! :)

Maybe any singer may record the full song and then we will edit the tracks, once we have decided who sings which part etc.
If there are any parts you can't sing because of the song key (too high or too low for you to sing), just leave them out ;)
Bear in mind that when you are working with those projects it's difficult (if not almost impossible) to choose the perfect song key for everyone, since every voice is different..so we had to make a compromise :)

As I've written in the FOR DEAR LIFE recording thread, my idea is: if we have some male voices that sing at the lower octave, it'd be great if these would be placed in the first parts of the song (1st verse and 1st chorus), so that from the 2nd verse we can have a sort of "crescendo" vocally ;)

#20 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Just to keep you guys updated on my part, once I'm back to my keyboard I can start making my part. When I record it, I will have that acoustic video of michelle playing it in my headphones and play along to it....this is my way of staying in sync. Does that work? Let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users