63 replies to this topic

#21 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:Music - Michelle Branch ;)

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Just to keep you guys updated on my part, once I'm back to my keyboard I can start making my part. When I record it, I will have that acoustic video of michelle playing it in my headphones and play along to it....this is my way of staying in sync. Does that work? Let me know.

Great!
I guess it'd be best if you could play along to the master track, so that sync with the final recording is guaranteed :)
I can send a version with a reference vocal track, if needed ;)

#22 SpiritedAway

SpiritedAway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

I can't wait to hear everyone's Spark :)

#23 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

that'd be great if I could get a reference vocal track :)

#24 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

So my idea is to play along with the song hitting all the correct chords when they change, I would then be playing varations and soloing inbetween etc. Here's an example I made real quick that basically shows the concept of what I'm thinking.
http://www.4shared.c...BAfgc/test.html -this isn't anything that's going to be part of the final product, I just threw it together to show the my ideas, you'll see there's a lot of empty space too etc.

If anyone has any ideas let me know, I'd be glad to hear some tips on hat you think sounds good.

#25 *SingStar*

*SingStar*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Music. Always music. Forever music.

[Check out www.michellebranch.it!!!]

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Ok! So we can use this topic to discuss the details of the SPARK recording.

People who have chosen to sing this song are:

Paulina mbadan Luke2 echo_14 mayhem.mike

I still had to make my choice, so I guess I'll add myself to this list, since there are more people who are gonna do FOR DEAR LIFE and we need singers ;D (although I'm not a "real" singer, but I'll work something out haha).

I can sing "Spark" too, if you still need more singers!!! :) ;)

#26 mbadan

mbadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

I can sing "Spark" too, if you still need more singers!!! :) ;)

of course you can sing spark :) you have a great voice. I'm your fan now :D
every single fire started with a spark we can feel it burn when we're dancing in the dark....

Posted Image

#27 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Ok! Time to start with the recording process! ;)

As explained before, I think the best way to do this is having everyone sing all the song as lead vocalist and send the recording, then we will select parts from every singer to make the final version. We will discuss about how to divide parts later.
So it'd be great if you could record your voice singing the complete song and then send the uncompressed file (.wav or .aiff) to ale@michellebranch.it - or if the file is too large for you to send, you may use an online file sharing service (like http://www.sendspace.com or similar), upload the file there and then send the link to that e-mail address.
While recording, if there happens to be any part which is difficult to sing for you because of the song key, feel free to let it out.
Use the master track to record your vocal part. You should use a music recording software - like Audacity (which is free and easy to use: you can get it here http://audacity.sour...ge.net/download) - adding the master track as the first track in your projct and then recording your lead vocals on a second track.
Please try to use your available recording equipment to get the best possible audio quality. This is very important...even though we want everyone to participate regardless of the available equipment, of course! so do what you can and we'll find a way to make it sound ok ;)
NOTE: If needed, I can send a master track with lead vocals that you can use as reference to record your part. Feel free to ask.

IMPORTANT: as already mentioned, I need unedited-uncompressed files to do the mixing. So please make sure you don't save your file in mp3 or any other compressed format and also don't add any effect - I'll add them later in the mix, no worries ;)
And just to clarify: of course I need to have just your vocal track (not mixed with the master track)

As for a deadline to send your recordings..since it's gonna take some time to discuss about parts and then do the mixing - and it'd be great if the project could be finished by the end of May - it would be great if you could send them by the first week-end of May

Thank you and have fun singing! ;D

#28 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Ale you forgot to mention video, it would be cool if each person got the video of them singing/recording their part (make sure the video and audio recording are from the same performance, and like ale said use a high quality-ish recording method -not something like the webcam mic lol ). I could deal with the video portion and ale could do the audio. My idea for the final video part is to have a mega split screen video basically showing all of us playing our part, ***I think having a video would be cool because then michelle could physically see all of us (her fans) singing/performing one of her songs and showing each in particular person. If there is just audio, it'd be harder to distinguish all the different tracks/peoples voices. We would just have a sound file like the million others floating around, the video will provides something to attach it to and greater detail you know what I mean?

#29 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

The video idea is great, I just don't know if everyone would be able to record a video too..I was thinking that maybe we could take some pics of ourselves while recording the vocal track/playing instruments and then make a photo-gallery video..
anyways, both ideas are great to me :)

By the way, just wanted to know if anyone else has recorded their vocals..as said before, I'll need some time to do the editing/mixing, so it'd be great to have the files as soon as possible..
Let me know ;)

#30 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys, has anyone recorded his/her part already?? ;)

#31 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Not yet, but I'll send it to you as soon as I can! ;-)

#32 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

1) Ale, I don't know if you're only speaking about the vocals/singers when concerning the deadlines for recordings...so here's a question......Do the same rules regarding those deadlines apply to the submission of my part? Or am I allowed more time? It's hard to distinguish since you were only referencing the singers. But let me just say, that the final result of my recording and overall arrangement would be substantially better if I wasn't expected to submit one with the singers deadline. Don't worry I'd be sure not to negatively affect or "push back" the final goal for the date regarding this project's completion. To be honest I'm just trying to get my life up to date, I've been in and out of the hospital due to a bad prescribed medication. But I'm better now, so I'll be able to continue where I left off; and you can rely on me for what you need and when you need it. I'm sure this project will be awesome when it's done; I'll try my best on my part no matter what.

2) Also, how loud are you planning to make the keyboard portion in the mix? I'm planning on putting fast cool sounding riffs into it, the only problem is...with all those notes and moving my fingers that fast......there's a higher chance of accidentally "nipping" other notes (small mistakes, I'm sure you know what I mean......I'm a human being lol). Would this matter? If it's not a big deal, than great....but if it is, I could always "dumb it down" to lower the chance/eliminate the errors. So I guess these are the options: 1) I make a very simplistic arrangement that might sound boring and easy, but at least it will be virtually error free. 2) I play it awesome and epic with fast cool riffs but as a result there could be a few errors (note nips etc.). I would think since it's going to be mixed in with other tracks (the recordings of the singers, any other instruments etc.) that the second way would be better because when EVERYTHING is heard simultaneously, imperfections wouldn't be as noticeable.....but the upgrade in the arrangements' awesomeness would remain apparent if placed against an easy boring one (in other words I think the pros would outweigh the cons). But this could also depend on how loud it's going to be in the mix (hence why I asked). Oh, and I remember somewhere you mentioned you're proficient in audio editing/experienced in that tech arena..........maybe you've dealt with these situations before? Whatever you want to do is fine, again it's a team effort, I'm just the monkey that's going to do what it's told. Oo oo aa aa banana banana haha, just let me know.

#33 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

No worries, you can take some more time ;) I'll start with mixing vocals.
By the way, glad you're feeling better now!
Do you have Facebook or Twitter? We may discuss about these things there maybe.. ;)

#34 sislermi

sislermi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm deactivating my facebook temporarily, and I do not have a twitter :(. I think we'd have to send messages the old fashioned way haha. Did you see the test recording I made btw? That's kind of the direction that I'm headed

#35 echo_14

echo_14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Guys, where are you all?
I've already sent "my" Spark to Ale.. Come on, let's make this song!!!! :D :P

#36 mbadan

mbadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

I SENT MY SPARK TOO.
every single fire started with a spark we can feel it burn when we're dancing in the dark....

Posted Image

#37 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks! :)
Let's wait for the others...

#38 aco99

aco99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

What I can do, I think, is a lyric video of whatever you guys may finish X_X

With that bouncing letters and stuff, just like that of "Loud Music," of course, using Spark's theme. X_X

Posted Image

Special Thanks to GeniusNextDoor for this Signature

#39 mbadan

mbadan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

how many people sent their spark. and how many is left?

Posted Image

#40 ale_lang

ale_lang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

how many people sent their spark. and how many is left?

Just you and Elisabetta.. :( I sent everyone a message asking for info, but got no reply yet
I have to write to sislermi about the piano part...unluckily I have been super-busy with work lately..but of course I'll find some time to work on this project too! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users